Technical Project Officer
Technical Project Officer
Type of contract
Fixed term – one year
INWRDAM / Amman, Jordan
Expected starting date
1st of March 2024
The primary responsibilities of the Technical Project Officer for the WEFE Project will be to facilitate seamless coordination and execution of project activities related to water, energy, food, and the ecosystem (WEFE), and assist the Technical Expert in carrying out his/her duties.
INWRDAM is a “Think & Do Tank”, as it aims to promote resolutions for water related conflicts by fostering dialogue and collaboration. Water is a resource for human survival and its scarcity often creates tension within communities and nations globally. By prioritizing negotiation techniques that encourage cooperation among involved parties and advocating for water management practices we can effectively address this issue. Our research efforts and advocacy campaigns focus on enhancing understanding, among stakeholders with the goal of bridging their interests through approaches that benefit everyone.
About the WEFE Project
The increased demand for water in the Middle East and North Africa region due to population and economic growth requirement increase the levels of water stress resulting from limited supplies. This water stress is further aggravated by the impacts of climate change. To address water shortages, water demand management utilizing modern scientific and technological advancements can be key in meeting the needs of the growing populations.
Additionally, the population increase brings about requirements for increased energy, food and growth of the built-up areas. These essential basic human needs must be met, while minimizing the impact on the environment in order to limit the negative impacts of climate change, and to ensure more sustainable socio-economic development over the medium- to long- range. Such intertwined and complex challenges must be addressed at various levels.
On the policy and regulatory levels, it is essential to formulate policies and adopted laws that stress the need for a comprehensive approach to addressing the Water, Energy, Food and Ecosystem (WEFE). The interrelatedness of these sectors is well established, and lately methods have been developed to ensure optimization based on different tradeoffs.
At the program and project levels, it is important to advance the comprehensive approach of considering all tradeoffs and associated benefits and costs. This can be achieved through the WEFE Nexus approach.
Despite improved methodological developments, and at times substantive technological develops, the WEFE Nexus approach utility remains weak in the southern and eastern Mediterranean region. This is due to the need for capacity development, in addition to substantial awareness campaigns.
Further, given the local existing contexts, WEFE Nexus interventions in the region must be formulated with regards to the local needs and requirements. As such, identification, design and implementation of polit replicable projects is key to speeding the rollout of the Nexus approach in the region, while ensuring cost effectiveness.
To this end, the Union for the Mediterranean (UfM), which has taken a leadership role in supporting sustainable socio-economic development in the Mediterranean region has awarded INWRDAM a project from a Swedish International Development Agency (SIDA) funding, to address these critical issues.
- Assist the Technical Expert in carrying out his/her duties including summary of state-of-practice tools and methods, and summary of implemented or ongoing WEFE Nexus initiatives
- Contribute to the identification of WEFE pilot projects.
- Support implementation oversight on behalf of INWRDAM.
- Provide support to the WEFE Pilot Implementation Partners.
Project Coordination and Support:
- Collaborate with the project team to plan, implement, monitor, and evaluate project activities.
- Coordinate with the implementing partners to follow up progress, adhering to timelines and milestones.
- Provide technical support in Water-Energy-Food-Ecosystem Nexus and insights throughout the project lifecycle.
- Coordinate with the project team and beneficiaries for training facilitations, and documentation.
- Collaborate with various stakeholders such as local mayors, project beneficiaries, local communities, and implementing partners.
- Facilitate communication and coordination among different stakeholders to ensure alignment with project scope, and timeline.
- Facilitate effective communications and meetings with local stakeholders and implementing partners.
Reporting and Communication:
- Maintain comprehensive project documentation, including reports, progress updates, and technical documentation preferably in English.
- Identify and address challenges and risks through regular progress and field reports, and successfully communicate them to the project management.
- Suggest mitigation measures for identified risks and challenges.
- Develop and collect needed documents for the Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E).
- Maintain clear and open communication channels among team members and stakeholders.
- Maintain accurate project records.
- Bachelor degree in environmental sciences, natural resources management, sustainable development, agriculture, or any relevant field.
- At least three years of experience in related roles, preferably with an experience working with NGOs.
- Sloid knowledge of water issues, water management challenges and the WEFE Nexus concept are mandatory.
- Experience in following up with contractors and field work.
- Experience in coordinating with local stakeholders.
- Experience in reporting progress and field works, in both Arabic and English.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal abilities.
- Ability to work in a team, and independently.
- Highly motivated, passionate, and active team member.
- Fluent in Arabic and English languages, writing, speaking and listening.
- Applicants are requested to apply by sending their CV, a letter of motivation and 3 reference letters to INWRDAM at email@example.com, stating ‘Your Name – Technical Project Officer Application’ in the subject line.
- Applications will be accepted until Wednesday 5 Februray 2024 , Jordan time (UTC +3).
- Please note that only selected applicants will be contacted.